Uber to acquire alcohol delivery leader Drizly for $1.1bn
Uber to acquire alcohol deli...
Subscribe to Newsletter

Uber to acquire alcohol delivery leader Drizly for $1.1bn

4 February 2021
2 min.
Uber to acquire alcohol delivery leader Drizly for $1.1bn

Deal with Drizly

Uber shares rose 7% on Tuesday on the back of the announcement of the acquisition of major alcohol delivery company Drizly for 90% of Uber's ordinary shares.

International online taxi ordering leader Uber Technologies (UBER) on Tuesday said it had acquired US alcohol delivery company Drizly.

As part of the deal, Drizly was valued at $1.1bn, which Uber will pay 90% in its ordinary shares and the other 10% in cash. Uber expects the deal to close in the first half of 2021 after regulatory approval.

Uber shares, up 81% in the last six months, reacted to the news with a sharp 7% rise on Tuesday.

Reporting quarterly results in early November, Uber posted a 53% decline in revenues from its core taxi business, while revenues from food delivery service Uber Eats were up 134% from last year.

Earlier in July, Uber inked a $2.65bn takeover deal with its food delivery rival Postmates, which is expected to close in Q1 2021. The move, like the acquisition of Drizly, could expand Uber's market share in the food delivery market and bring additional steady revenue and profit growth in the future. Drizly is the leader in alcoholic beverage delivery in the United States, operating in full compliance with local regulations in more than 1,400 cities in most states

Drizly was valued at $73 million by research firm PitchBook in 2017, but the company's growth over the years, particularly during the pandemic, has warranted a higher valuation.

Drizly CEO Cory Rellas and his remarkable team have made Drizly an incredible success, increasing sales profitability by more than 300% year-on-year. Drizly will become a subsidiary of Uber and its services will be integrated into the Uber Eats app. That said, Uber has said that a separate Drizly app will also operate.

Wall Street's average valuation on Uber stock shows an optimistic outlook with a "Strong Buy" rating based on 22 "Buy" ratings and 2 "Hold" ratings. The average analyst target price of $61.39 suggests a potential upside of about 8.7% from current levels Uber stock closed at $56.46 on Tuesday.

Persons1 and Companies4 in the news

Chief Executive Officer of Drizly
1 place
PitchBook Data
1 place
2 place
3 place
4 place


News from GlobalNY.biz is the freshest and most relevant information about high-profile events in the region. The task of the resource's news feed is to convey to readers with maximum accuracy and objectivity information about important events in business, politics, economy, healthcare, culture and other spheres of life in New York.
GlobalNY.biz news is a coverage of economic processes taking place in New York, the latest news of public life, incidents and an overview of political events. New York news is information about the activities of small and medium-sized businesses, the work of housing and communal services and utilities, the implementation of significant projects.
The site's journalists describe not only the life of the region, but also talk about the current state of the US economy. Everything you need to know about innovations in the field of industry and agriculture, economy and power is collected in the "News" section at GlobalNY.biz.
New York news quickly informs the reader, shows the real picture and opens up hot topics. Communication with government structures and business enables us to provide our readers with reliable, information-rich material. The main page of the portal contains the key news of New York!
Alena Potapova

Development Director
Died this year
Born this year